Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Institutional Repository

Palatability of black soldier fly larvae in valorizing mixed waste coconut endosperm and soybean curd residue into larval lipid and protein sources

Lim, Jun Wei and Mohd. Noor, Siti Nuraini and Wong, Chung Yiin and Lam, Man Kee and Goh, Pei Sean and Beniers, J. J. A. and Oh, Wen Da and Jumbri, Khairulazhar and Abd. Ghani, Noraini (2019) Palatability of black soldier fly larvae in valorizing mixed waste coconut endosperm and soybean curd residue into larval lipid and protein sources. Journal of Environmental Management, 231 . pp. 129-136. ISSN 0301-4797

Full text not available from this repository.

Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.10.022

Abstract

The black soldier fly larvae (BSFL) have been widely extolled for the application in managing various solid organic wastes. Owing to the saprophagous nature of BSFL, a rapid valorization of solid organic wastes can be accomplished with the simultaneous production of valuable biochemical compounds derived from larval biomass. In the present works, the mixed waste coconut endosperm (w-CE) and soybean curd residue (SC-r) substrates with increasing protein nutritional constituent were administered to BSFL. The correlations between protein from larval feed substrates and nutritional profiles of BSFL biomasses were ultimately unveiled. The protein from larval feed substrates could be increased by increasing of SC-r portion against w-CE. At the w-CE:SC-r ratio of 3:2, the highest larval total weight gained and growth rate were attained; indicating an optimum protein nutritional constituent in mixed organics (12.4%) that could enhance the BSFL palatability. Further increment of protein nutritional constituent in mixed organics was found acidifying the residual larval feed substrate progressively, undermining the growth of BSFL. By feeding the BSFL with optimum mixed organics, the maximum accumulations of larval lipid and protein could be achieved. Transesterification of extracted lipid had demonstrated high in monounsaturated fatty acids (73%) which was suitable for biodiesel. The BSFL palatability was finally confirmed from the bioconversion viewpoint of mixed organic wastes. Again, achieving the highest bioconversion efficiency of 14% into larval biomass after accounting the metabolic loss of 54%. Therefore, a total of 68% of mixed w-CE and SC-r could be successfully bioconverted.

Item Type:Article
Uncontrolled Keywords:bioconversion, biodiesel
Subjects:T Technology > TP Chemical technology
Divisions:Chemical and Energy Engineering
ID Code:89223
Deposited By: Yanti Mohd Shah
Deposited On:22 Feb 2021 14:07
Last Modified:22 Feb 2021 14:07

Repository Staff Only: item control page