Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Institutional Repository

Landslide susceptibility assessment in the Anfu County, China: comparing different statistical and probabilistic models considering the new topo-hydrological factor (HAND)

Hong, Haoyuan and Kornejady, Aiding and Soltani, Adel and Razavi Termeh, Seyed Vahid and Liu, Junzhi and Zhu, A-Xing and Hesar, Arastoo Yari and Ahmad, Baharin and Wang, Yi (2018) Landslide susceptibility assessment in the Anfu County, China: comparing different statistical and probabilistic models considering the new topo-hydrological factor (HAND). Earth Science Informatics, 11 (4). pp. 605-622. ISSN 1865-0473

Full text not available from this repository.

Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12145-018-0352-8

Abstract

The present study is aimed at producing landslide susceptibility map of a landslide-prone area (Anfu County, China) by using evidential belief function (EBF), frequency ratio (FR) and Mahalanobis distance (MD) models. To this aim, 302 landslides were mapped based on earlier reports and aerial photographs, as well as, carrying out several field surveys. The landslide inventory was randomly split into a training dataset (70%; 212landslides) for training the models and the remaining (30%; 90 landslides) was cast off for validation purpose. A total of sixteen geo-environmental conditioning factors were considered as inputs to the models: slope degree, slope aspect, plan curvature, profile curvature, the new topo-hydrological factor termed height above the nearest drainage (HAND), average annual rainfall, altitude, distance from rivers, distance from roads, distance from faults, lithology, normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI), sediment transport index (STI), stream power index (SPI), soil texture, and land use/cover. The validation of susceptibility maps was evaluated using the area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (AUROC). As a results, the FR outperformed other models with an AUROC of 84.98%, followed by EBF (78.63%) and MD (78.50%) models. The percentage of susceptibility classes for each model revealed that MD model managed to build a compendious map focused at highly susceptible areas (high and very high classes) with an overall area of approximately 17%, followed by FR (22.76%) and EBF (31%). The premier model (FR) attested that the five factors mostly influenced the landslide occurrence in the area: NDVI, soil texture, slope degree, altitude, and HAND. Interestingly, HAND could manifest clearer pattern with regard to landslide occurrence compared to other topo-hydrological factors such as SPI, STI, and distance to rivers. Lastly, it can be conceived that the susceptibility of the area to landsliding is more subjected to a complex environmental set of factors rather than anthropological ones (residential areas and distance to roads). This upshot can make a platform for further pragmatic measures regarding hazard-planning actions.

Item Type:Article
Uncontrolled Keywords:evidential belief function, frequency ratio, mahalanobis distance, receiver operating characteristic
Subjects:G Geography. Anthropology. Recreation > G Geography (General)
Divisions:Geoinformation and Real Estate
ID Code:84454
Deposited By: Yanti Mohd Shah
Deposited On:11 Jan 2020 15:08
Last Modified:11 Jan 2020 15:08

Repository Staff Only: item control page