Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Institutional Repository

Statictical analysis of annual rainfall distribution for water resource in Peninsular Malaysia using Satellite TRMM algorihm

Ibrahim, Ab. Latif and Tam, T . H . and Sa'ayou, M. S. (2010) Statictical analysis of annual rainfall distribution for water resource in Peninsular Malaysia using Satellite TRMM algorihm. In: MRSS 6th International Remote Sending & Gis Conference and Exhibiton (MRSS 2010), 28-29 April 2010, Kuala Lumpur.

[img] PDF (Abstract)
41Kb

Official URL: http://www.geoinfo.utm.my/remote_sensing/Remote%20...

Abstract

Water is one of the most important of natural resource for all living things. 97% of water on the Earth is sea water, the remaining 3% as fresh water of which slightly over two thirds is frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps. For the unfrozen fresh water is mainly found as groundwater, with only a small fraction present above ground or in the air. In certain areas, water tends to be very limited and there are situation where the availability of water is always deficient. The main source of water is rainfall. Thus understanding regarding rainfall characteristics is very important. The objectives of this study are to evaluate the reliability of Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) 3B43 algorithm study Peninsular Malaysia’s rainfall and to analyze the annual rainfall distribution using TRMM data. TRMM 3B43 algorithm was validated by 24 principle station’s rainfall data. The annual rainfall result showed that TRMM data is overestimated and low accuracy, though TRMM data and rain gauge were positive correlation. The main probably reason is due to the accumulative error. The errors are echoes produced by precipitation radar (PR), orographic effect, and systematic error of rain gauge.

Item Type:Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Uncontrolled Keywords:rainfall, rain gauge, TRMM 3B43 algorithm, statistical analysis
Subjects:Unspecified
Divisions:Geoinformation Science And Engineering (Formerly known)
ID Code:24290
Deposited By: Liza Porijo
Deposited On:17 Aug 2012 03:42
Last Modified:17 Aug 2012 03:45

Repository Staff Only: item control page